Dear Chapter Members,
The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the details for the Washington, DC Chapter of The ROCKS, Inc., 2021 R.C. Cartwright Scholarship Program.
The ROCKS, Inc. was founded in 1974 with one of its goals being to provide professional interactions with ROTC Cadets, and scholarship assistance to high school seniors or college freshmen aspiring to obtain an education that leads to an Army commission. Another goal is to mentor and provide professional development to military Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officers, and DA civilians GS-12 and above; as well as, provide social interaction with young military officers to strengthen the Officer Corps.
The ROCKS, DC Chapter operates as a 501(C)3 non-profit organization that the U. S. Army recognizes as a premiere influencer providing mentorship to Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officers, DA Civilians GS-12 and above, and Cadets.
Per the Washington, DC Chapter’s by-laws, we are also reaching out to local High School Counselors to help identify graduating seniors who participates in a JROTC Program and plans to attend college in the Fall Semester. As well as, college freshmen currently enrolled in an ROTC Program attending a College or University within the greater Washington, DC area who are a direct relatives of a Washington DC Chapter member, and is a graduating high school seniors and college bound. We also want to identify our talented and goal-oriented young family members in addition to those who have the potential for an officer’s career in the Armed Forces.
The Washington DC Chapter of the ROCKS, Inc. will be awarding scholarships to deserving students in the categories mentioned above. We are asking for your help to identify any worthy Senior JROTC Cadets from your High School, Freshmen ROTC Cadets from your College/University ROTC Program or family member. We are also asking that you assist those Cadets in preparing a packet to be received by Scholarship Committee no later than May 31, 2021, so that it may be considered in the nomination process. The prerequisites are attached.
Again, we appreciate your help in helping us recognize our deserving young Americans. Please contact the the Scholarship Committee if you have additional questions – email@example.com
Leon L. Rogers II
President of the Washington D.C. Chapter of the ROCKS, INC.
- Must be a High School Senior in Jr ROTC planning to attend college next year or a College Freshmen in Army ROTC. The award will be sent to the scheduled/attending college/university in the student’s name.
- For Washington DC Chapter ROCKS, Inc. members seeking a scholarship for their dependent or relative, your membership status must be current with the Chapter and National. The award will be sent to the planned/attending college/university in the student’s name.
- Submit the following information – (points are allotted based on the inclusion and thoroughness of the information and the nominee’s achievements).
- A description of the Student’s Background (Hometown; High School attending and the College/University they are planning to attend in the Fall; if the student is College/University Freshmen, provide the name of the school attending)
- Provide a picture (head to waist) of the student in ROTC uniform, if applicable – send this picture electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Listing of Scholastic/Athletic/Personal Achievements; Awards; School Activities; and all Community Involvement efforts. This information adds to your selection points.
- Proof of having a GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0-point system
- Written 500-word essay on “Why should young American men and women join the U.S. Military today?”
- Two (2) written endorsements from either the PMS or High School Jr ROTC Military Advisor and a Representative from the School (Teacher, Professor, Guidance Counselor)
- For Washington DC Chapter of the Rocks, Inc. member nominations: the packet must include the name of the Chapter member, relationship to the nominee, and their Chapter member number. Include this information in your student endorsement letter